Saturday, March 9, 2013

What is Tech Ed in Schools?

After attending a technology and engineering conference this past week, I began to wonder- What does teaching technology in current, cutting-edge, 21st century classrooms look like? Should it mean that every student has their own handheld devices? Should it mean that students are learning about concepts techies would need to know in the real-world such as "AVG cable"? Or should it mean that students are building items with glue and wood like I did during my middle school technology class in the mid-1990s?

After pondering these questions throughout the three day conference, I realized that there is not one universal definition of what tech ed is; therefore, I realized I had to create my own definition of what tech ed should look like in my own classroom.

Tech education is more than a mere computer education class in which students learn about basic programs such as Office and presentation products. To me my middle school tech ed classroom should utilize a plethora of free apps, diverse terms, facts, and historical contexts, as well as a variety of programs that students can continue utilizing in other classes or in their free time. I realized during my pondering that the most important part of my class is to instill within my students the appropriate skills needed to work with technology and other people in the real world.

I hope to never forget the special moments during my first year of teach technology that I have had throughout the past three nine weeks. There have been times when students have been so excited to come to class to share about the flight simulation game they had been mastering on their own at home. Or the students who have worked to integrate video editing software on their own computers and cannot wait to share their products with me.

Some of the most meaningful moments this year have come from students utilizing the technology we have learned about in class on their own. Shouldn't that be the goal for all tech classes? Real-world application of technology programs, applications, and concepts should be the goal for all tech ed programs today.

No comments:

Post a Comment