Sunday, June 26, 2011

Values

In class yesterday we began discussing educational values.  We went from talking about the individual concepts that we, as individuals, desire in education to the overarching themes instilled within the souls of students enrolled in teacher courses at local universities.  It really made me think.  Have all of the teacher education courses I've endured valued the same thing in education?


Overall, the three universities I have attended, although very different, have held one core value.  They have shown future educators and administrators to not loose sight of the most important thing in education- the students.  If they were trying to instill within me a different value, it may not have stuck due to my real life experiences.  Whether they were nihilist, theist, or any other belief, it rarely affected me in my education. 


Unfortunately, there are only a few classes that have any sort of lasting affect on me during my education coursework.  These classes are the ones that dealt with diversity, a concept I see negated all too often in our public schools.  I have also been inspired by the fellow students in my classes.  I'm in awe of the variety of people I encounter, and yet, we all agree that education needs to be altered. 


No matter what the concepts are that I value in education, I will always place the students in the center of my actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment