Thursday, October 13, 2011

Observations

As many educators in Tennessee are aware, the new observation method- TAP- has caused many to question their professional decisions. Yesterday I read an article in which legislatures are reconsidering the benefit the new observation model has on schools. Although observations need to occur, the time a teacher has throughout the day to be a human adds to the stress the model is creating.


Recently I found myself recalling my student teaching experience in New Zealand in which the teachers received an hour and a half of unstructured adult time. Thirty minutes in the morning are set aside for the teachers to socialize together during morning tea, while an hour is given for lunch. Oh, how I long for the socialization and non-structured time.


Of course the observation model has areas that need to be addressed. For example, not every administrator is addressing the "unannounced" observations the same. Some teachers are told when the observations will take place, while others are completely shocked when others enter their room. Another thing that I do not think is taken into consideration is the extra responsibilities teachers are asked to take on. Although I have gotten better at telling an administrator "no" when asked to take on something, there are still times when I say "I don't think so" and somehow I am still wrangled in to doing it. Often times that means my classes are interrupted by communication from the office, people coming in my classroom, and expectations or deadlines that have to be met and yet my planning period is not long enough to meet them.


Don't misunderstand me- I enjoy the idea of administrators being in my room more often; personally, they aren't in my room enough. However, I think there are other things in the American educational systems that need to be looked at first in order to retain good and even great teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment