Sunday, May 13, 2012

Common Core

As minor as my opinions might be in the field of education, I want to be sure I express my thoughts about the Common Core Standards before they become lost in translation or transformation!

In 2006 as I was holding parent teacher conferences in a small town called Clarksville, Tennessee, I was asked bluntly by a military parent, "Can you ensure that my son will be competitive with his peers if we are to be relocated to Alaska next year?" My heart sank, because here I was presented with a question, I must admit, I had never thought about. This particular parent had just returned from Iraq and was facing PCSing (what military call relocation) to a new Army post in Alaska and he was concerned his son could not compete with fellow fifth graders in Alaska.

At that point in my career, I had taught in Alabama, Tennessee and New Zealand, but the thought of the differences in standards had really only crossed my mind in 1993 when my parents moved me to Tennessee and I found myself at least a year ahead of my peers in my learning.

When I heard about the educational initiative, the Common Core Standards, established by several governors two years ago my heart rejoiced. Finally, the military father who had worried about the education of his child could be guaranteed that his son's education would not be hindered due to the various locations the military sent him. Also, I had realized that more and more American citizens have become more mobile, making this initiative a necessity if states want to ensure that all of their students have the same base knowledge.

Last week while watching the Kentucky Derby I noticed that various companies have begun running advertisements in support of the Common Core Standards, and I hope that doesn't deter some from supporting this much needed educational change in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment