Thursday, May 24, 2012

Summertime...Blessing or Curse

Since summer in Sumner County began this morning I found myself contemplating my childhood summers. The swim team, the pool, the soccer field, the friends, the barbecues, and the traveling came to mind. However, yesterday as I polled my students about their summer vacation plans many of them had the same answer- I don't know. I quickly realized that many kids today don't look forward to the same simple pleasures I was afforded summer after summer. In fact, some students don't look forward to summer break at all.

As the final bell rang yesterday, a student was hanging out in the library. This student has lived for the library this year. Before school and after school he has been seen just hanging out in the library. No, he isn't really a reader, so to speak, but he is a student whose home life was drastically changed in the past two years with the loss of his brother.

This student was hanging around the library as some of the other students rushed by him eager to start their summer break, because he knew that yesterday was the librarian's last day at our school. Unfortunately, this young man has not only lost his brother, but his favorite librarian and "safe place" were changing with the librarians retirement. My heart ached for him.

So as my summer days rush by as they often do, I hope that I am reminded that there are students somewhere, of all ages, shapes and walks of life, that are eager for school to start back in order to be welcomed back to the "safe place" in their life.

Thank you to the teachers I had after the summer of 1997 who welcomed me back to school after the loss of my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment